Why Rust?

Can someone from Libra team comment on why Rust was chosen?
Was it its speed, safety or type system?

3 Likes

Here is a short writeup from Ben the tech lead on the Calibra team on why we chose Rust.

11 Likes

Thanks for pointing that up, @bmwill.

Once we made the decision to build our own blockchain infrastructure, the next question was what language to use. The team spent time considering different options. As a project where security is a primary focus, the type-safety and memory-safety of Rust were extremely appealing. Over the past year, we’ve found that even though Rust has a high learning curve, it’s an investment that has paid off. Rust has helped us build a clean, principled blockchain implementation.

Rust isn’t without its challenges – we’ll need to collaborate with the community to address challenges like tooling, build times, and strengthening the ecosystem of 3rd-party crates needed by security-sensitive projects like ours. But we’re excited by the momentum Rust has already picked up, and believe it will continue to grow.

9 Likes

I’m in full agreement with this statement, precisely why I’m learning to code in Rust right now!

1 Like

I’m curious if Go was a consideration, and if it was, what was the clear decision that made you guys say…yeah this is the best long term investment/vision for the ecosystem?

2 Likes

Why Rust? was also my question when I looked at Libra repo several days ago. I believed that many people question it too so just waiting for the answer, it’s likely found now :). Anyway, I’m learning Rust too, don’t know my C++ experience making learning path shorter or longer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, first post here!
As i was thinking / debating with my lil’ brother about what language to learn, i’m glad i’ve been discovering/reading more about Rust through Libra
And so…i decided to jump right into it.