Testnet on AWS using Cloud9 IDE

Threw together a quick re-hash of the “My First Transaction” tutorial except using Amazon’s Cloud9 IDE, for those of you are not familiar with it, it is a browser-based IDE that runs on top of an EC2 Linux server; you can read more about it Here

Right now I just cover how to setup the IDE, expand your attached EBS volume, install dependencies for Ubuntu 18.04 to ensure you do not run into any errors and some sample libra CLI operations.

I will be expanding the project in the next few days to include making a local test net, connecting to it from another work station and including some other helper scripts – eventually looking to move from Cloud9 to Fargate or EKS, so stay tuned

4 Likes

Nice walkthrough, is running this IDE a free service on C9 ?

@lucas

There is no additional charge to using the Cloud9 IDE, however, you will incur charges for the underlying EC2 Instance and EBS Volume

IDE’s come standard with 10GiB (hence my helper script to expand that) priced at $0.10 per GB-month of provisioned storage x 10-GB storage volume = $1.00

EC2 Instance prices vary based on the Instance Family (T, M, C, etc) and Size (Micro, Small, Medium) – you can mess around with pricing models here: https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

1 Like

I have updated this Project to clean up some (a lot) of grammar issues, and I also added another section to create your own local testnet and interact with it.

Those of you familiar with AWS will be bored by probably all but 3 or 4 of the instructions, but I created it with minimal knowledge in mind

Will be working on the IAC Pieces in Terraform, then eventually CloudFormation and will also be messing with other helper scripts to persist your own testnet for long-term testing or eventually hard forks of Libra

2 Likes