Junior Questions

Hi everyone,
I wanna start with Libra but i have probably a really simple question.

What is the reason to learn MOVE?

Thank you all

2 Likes

Hi. I think here is the best answer to this question. https://medium.com/coinmonks/whitepaper-deep-dive-move-facebook-libra-blockchains-new-programming-language-7dbd5b242c2b?sk=dca8a02f9f369187eb1e07744819f8f7

2 Likes

But, for example, if i wanna mine Libra, it is necessary learn Move? Or is just for transactions and this kind of operations?

Hi @jpbarbosa,

please bear in mind that Libra is a PoS ( Proof of Stake ) system, so there will be no miners, but forges.

The main goal of forges is to create new blocks and collect the transaction fees as reward.

So in order to became a forger you need to join the validator pool, where the transactions will be approved.

Hope this could help you

1 Like

Thank you @amuccini01.
So, how can i create a new block and join a pool?

Sorry all my questions…

Good question, still working on it… :smile:

2 Likes

So, Move is the language to create blocks? Right?

1 Like

Move is an executable bytecode language used to implement custom transactions and smart contracts.

There’re two things to take note:

1. While Move is a bytecode language which can be directly executed in Move’s VM, Solidity (Ethereum’s smart contract language) is a higher level language that needs to be compiled down to bytecode before executing in EVM (Ethereum’s Virtual Machine).
  2. Move can not only be used to implement smart contracts but also custom transactions, while Solidity is a language for smart contracts on Ethereum only.

The key feature of Move is the ability to define custom resource types with semantics inspired by linear logic: a resource can never be copied or implicitly discarded, only moved between program storage locations.

This is a feature similar to Rust. Values in Rust can only be assigned to one name at a time. Assigning a value to a different name causes it to no longer be accessible under the previous name.

1 Like

@Teketkom, sorry my delay understanding this.
So, Move is the language to develop what I used on the tutorial “My First Transaction” to create the menus, transactions and the all the process used on it. Am I right?

@amuccini01 told me that Libra is a PoS and to collect Libras we need to forge and not mine. So, then we need to create new blocks and collect the transactions fees as rewards. So, at this time, is this possible? Or the developers are still working on it? Using Move to develop the system, right?

Sorry :smiley: my english.

1 Like

Acredito que o material técnico para a implantação da rede de teste é suficiente. Você certamente obterá mais das experiências do que da leitura. Preste atenção a este serviço: https://librabrowser.io/

1 Like

This website do the same as the command line using Libra Core.

Another question…

I did the the “My First Transaction” tutorial, so my account #0 is now with 100 Libras. This is real? Like, is just “mint” a value to the account and i get that amount of Libras?

Minting and adding coins to accounts on testnet is done via Faucet. Faucet is a service that runs along with the testnet. This service only exists to facilitate minting coins for testnet and will not exist for mainnet.
Yes, it is quite simple. Even if you had done all these actions on the locomotive car it would not be difficult.

1 Like

“In Libra, the core data structure doesn’t contain blocks. Hence, we might say that it’s not really a blockchain. That’s probably also why the system is described as a decentralized, programmable database. What’s in Libra’s core data structures, then? Transactions. They still form a sequence (numbered with ever-increasing integers), and are incrementally stored in Merkle trees.” - from this link

2 Likes

Very investing, so it would be correct to say that Libra is a transactionchain ?

1 Like

Well… I believe the term is not a used standard… but you can call it as you’d like. IOTA tangle for example , also doesn’t operate over a blockchain, instead it is a merkle tree os single transactions , each new one verifying two older ones

1 Like