Failed to run custom build command for `network v0.1.0

I was using command of ./start_cli_testnet.sh to start testnet.But errors come out.

System: Ubuntu 14
protoc --version libprotoc 3.8.0 cmake --version
cmake version 3.14.5

It looks like cmake can not find the include dir of protoc. I try to add the below command in /etc/profile
export PROTOBUF_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/
export PROTOBUF_IMPORT_DIRS=/usr/local/include/google/protobuf/

But it doesn’t work. I don’t know how to fix it.

error: failed to run custom build command for network v0.1.0 (/home/sean/Work/tool/libra/network)

Caused by:
process didn’t exit successfully: /home/sean/Work/tool/libra/target/debug/build/network-3bce66de4ba49a2b/build-script-build (exit code: 101)
— stdout
cargo:rerun-if-changed=src/proto/network.proto
cargo:rerun-if-changed=src/proto/mempool.proto
cargo:rerun-if-changed=src/proto/consensus.proto

— stderr
google/protobuf/wrappers.proto: File not found.
transaction.proto:12:1: Import “google/protobuf/wrappers.proto” was not found or had errors.
transaction.proto:160:5: “google.protobuf.UInt64Value” is not defined.
mempool.proto:8:1: Import “transaction.proto” was not found or had errors.
mempool.proto:17:12: “types.SignedTransaction” is not defined.
thread ‘main’ panicked at ‘protoc: Custom { kind: Other, error: StringError(“protoc (“protoc” “-I…/types/src/proto” “-Isrc/proto” “–descriptor_set_out=/tmp/protoc-rustWWAeZm/descriptor.pbbin” “–include_imports” “src/proto/network.proto” “src/proto/mempool.proto” “src/proto/consensus.proto”) exited with non-zero exit code”) }’, src/libcore/result.rs:999:5
note: Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display a backtrace.

Hi seantang, you likely need to install proto via something like the following: https://github.com/libra/libra/issues/94, but for an easier process, you can now use: Improving developer experience using Libra command-line client

Thank you kph. I have soloved the problem. Your links gave me some clues. I didn’t use protocbuf before. The download file of protocbuff don’t have a good installation instruction. So I made a mistake. There are two folders /bin and /include. I mv the protoc in /bin to /usr/bin/, and mv /include to /usr/local/include. That is the problem. We should follow below command to install protoc properly.
unzip download file folder = $protocbuf
mv $protocbuf/bin/protoc /usr/local/bin/
mv $protocbuf/include/* /usr/local/include/

Then try command “protoc --version”. It shoud be fine.
After that it works well. Thank you again for your help.