Consensus

The consensus component is responsible for ordering blocks of transactions and agreeing on the results of execution with other validators in the network. Our proposed consensus protocol, LibraBFT , is based on HotStuff, a Byzantine fault-tolerant (BFT) protocol. BFT consensus protocols can function correctly even if up to one-third of the voting power is held by validator nodes that are compromised or fail. Please see our documentation and share your feedback.

Hello, I’ve read the technical papers and went trough the doc. Nice work so far. I’ve some questions. In what way the BFT you are working on is different from a federated BFT protocol like Stellar for example? Would it be asynchronous? You want to make Libra permissionless in the future. Did you look into gossip-to-gossip kind of protocol? Is the idea to keep a Blockchain structure? Or would it be possible to look into a different type of DLT structure in the future?

Thanks in advance for your time.

2 Likes

In what way the BFT you are working on is different from a federated BFT protocol like Stellar for example?

This is not a federated BFT protocol, but a more traditional BFT protocol (such as PBFT).

Would it be asynchronous?

I’m assuming you are referring to the asynchronous BFT. LibraBFT ensures safety in an asynchronous system and liveness in a partially synchronous system.

You want to make Libra permissionless in the future. Did you look into gossip-to-gossip kind of protocol?

Can you provide an example of what you mean by “gossip-to-gossip”? We did explore several different consensus protocols before deciding on LibraBFT, as we shared in our technical papers.

Is the idea to keep a Blockchain structure? Or would it be possible to look into a different type of DLT structure in the future?

We are continuing to explore many research directions in the future and look forward to input from the community.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers, interesting. By gossip-to-gossip, I meant a gossip-based protocol that could be similar to Hashgraph and which could transmit gossip about gossip to allow nodes to run virtual voting.

1 Like

We did some exploration of gossip-based protocols (e.g. Blockmania). While we have decided to start with LibraBFT, in the future, we may consider experimenting with augmenting the protocol with gossip.

2 Likes